Monday 30 December 2013

Force on Force arrives!

Today Christmas arrived a little early (or late) as my latest wargaming purchase arrived. Force on Force is a hardback rulebook and is probably the best looking set of rules that I have ever seen.

Having only flipped through the book I can't say what the game will play like but for me it already seems unconventional. Throwing handfuls of dice that would be more at home in a game of D and D will take some getting used to as will the fluid turn sequence. This really is a new approach to a complicated subject...

To be on the safe side I will also track down "At Close Quarters" which if I remember correctly does much the same thing in a far more familiar way. To its credit this ruleset does force one to adhere to small scale organisation with the units operating as I recognise them.


Going to sign off now, take some Ibuprofen and dig out some more D8s....alternative wargaming is a cruel mistress so I may have a beer as well.

I would be very interested to hear what others think of this book...is it all just show or does it work?

7 comments:

  1. You will have to let us know how the rules play as I have often thought of purchasing these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil, they look like D and D if I am honest, I am unsure about them at best on the first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had them for a while and their forerunner Ambush Alley, which I quite liked. These and Two Hour Wargames are my rules of choice now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curious to hear your review on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chaps, I will give them a run out this week. I am hoping that they are a lot easier to play than they are written. As far as I can see there are no groups of tables with weapon ranges, effects etc. They are all in seperate parts of the book. A cheat sheet Rapid fire style would have been great. Despite looking excellent there is a lack of cohesiveness which Osprey really should have nailed by now. IHMN is much better laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make sure you take advantage of the AAG wikia. This is not an intuitive system!

    http://ambushalleygames.com/aagwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link Dylan, that is a really useful page that I had'nt seen before. I am struggling to get my head around the turn sequence which seems to be a little too fluid. Still I will bash on. The book is really well presented but its all over the place regarding information.

    ReplyDelete