Friday 11 October 2013

My life with Hammer House of Horror.

For two years I lived (very happily) at Bank Hall Lodge in Bretherton Lancashire. The rent was cheap and I had free roam over my garden and accompanying estate, verily I ate Grouse, Pheasant and Venison.....and rabbit...and Woodpigeon...you get the picture. The gatehouse I lived in was built in 1609 and was really amazingly creepy....


It was cold and lonely but it was home and I loved it! recently I discovered that a couple of Hammer House of Horror films were made on this spot (my teenage years were molded by this film company) so I just had to share my story. Just behind the lodge is an old bridge which is very picturesque and from which I shot so many rabbits!

The actual house which was used for a lot of filming is now in a poor state of repair, I have wandered around inside but did not give it much thought at the time. This national treasure is soon to be restored...can I have my lodge back please?



The tower still exists with rotting books still on their shelves...the gardens are full of trees. Pheasants are everywhere!

4 comments:

  1. cool place to have lived I bet the rent is a bit steeper now :)
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect setting!!! The gatehouse looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, my wife would be ever so jealous. And sad that there are dying books in there... unloved :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chaps, it was cool but cold! Best thing was the shooting....and seeing the house on old Hammer films!

    ReplyDelete